We know how troubling it is to live with painful or missing teeth — your self-esteem may be suffering, and you may be having a hard time eating the foods you love or smiling with confidence. Over time, you can experience dental shifting and the jaw bone atrophy that occurs after prolonged tooth loss, which may be causing you to appear older than you are. Dental implants solve these problems, and are, by far, the most desirable and versatile tooth restoration for broken, failing, or missing teeth, with the ability to replace a single tooth or even an entire arch of teeth. A single dental implant consists of three parts: a titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jaw bone, an abutment piece that is used to connect the implant to a custom-made crown, and the crown itself, which is designed to match your existing teeth. After receiving dental implants, patients can enjoy the look, feel, and functional abilities of natural teeth, as well as improved oral health because implants fuse with the jaw bone, preventing the bone atrophy that can occur from extended tooth loss. Implants are true tooth replacements — root and all — and just like natural teeth, they are stable and anchored in your jaw, so you can comfortably eat the foods you love and smile with complete confidence. While dentures and bridges only last a few years before needing to be replaced, dental implants can last a lifetime with good oral care, with the added benefit that no healthy teeth are damaged to secure them in your mouth. Dental implants look good, feel good, and are good for your oral health!
At our practice, we deliver replacement solutions that match our patient’s desires and conditions so that their overall health, oral health, and well-being are improved. No matter what tooth replacement solution is determined to be the best for your individual condition and needs, the team at Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio is here to offer you the safe and trusted patient-centered oral surgery care we are known for. Dr. Jesin performs dental implants and dental implant-based restorations in the comfort and safety of our practice in Grand Rapids, MI, where you will be continuously cared for and monitored by attentive and professional clinical staff. We are also the first practice in Michigan to offer the cutting-edge X-Guide™ Dynamic 3D Navigation system for the most precise and least invasive dental implant placement possible.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are a realistic and durable tooth restoration that also benefits your oral health. With so many advantages over more traditional tooth replacements such as fixed bridges and dentures, it makes sense that so many patients choose dental implants. Some of the key benefits of dental implants include
- Durable and permanent. Because the implant fuses with the bone in your jaw, dental implant patients enjoy a long-term, realistic replacement. With good oral hygiene, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Incredibly lifelike. It’s hard to beat a tooth replacement that truly looks, feels, and functions just like natural teeth.
- A confident smile. Improved self-confidence is common with our dental implant patients. They love smiling knowing that no one can tell that they have had a tooth restoration!
- Enjoy eating again. Comfortably and confidently enjoy your favorite foods.
- Protects bone health and structure. Dental implants replace the entire tooth, including the root, so they stimulate the bone under your gums to prevent bone loss just like natural teeth do.
- Versatile. Dental implants can replace one or multiple missing teeth or even an entire arch of teeth.
- Most patients are dental implant candidates. With advances in bone grafting techniques, most of our patients can successfully receive dental implants.
Dr. Jesin performs a variety of advanced bone grafting techniques at our practice to allow successful dental implant placement for almost everyone, even our patients with significant bone loss in the jaw bone. If you are healthy enough to have a standard tooth extraction, dental implants are most likely an option for you at Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio.
We offer the full scope of oral surgery and dental implant restoration options at our practice and pride ourselves on the safety and artistry of our work restoring smiles. If you are interested in dental implants, please contact our friendly office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jesin. We look forward to offering you the very best oral surgery care.
Dental Implant Process
Dr. Jesin has many years of training and experience placing dental implants safely with excellent long-term results. Our practice is the first in Michigan to utilize a technology called X-Guide for planning and performing incredibly accurate implant surgery that considers the delicate surrounding structures in your mouth with greater accuracy for a minimally invasive procedure with optimal aesthetic results. Dr. Jesin will create a digital surgical plan with the best implant location based on your unique anatomy using X-Guide’s advanced software. During your surgery, he will use a specialized radiation-free camera along with your digital surgical plan for a 3D view of your oral structures including your jaw bone, soft tissue, and surrounding teeth. The X-Guide navigation system will then guide Dr. Jesin in real time as he performs the surgery, like a GPS roadmap leading him along every turn of your procedure.
The dental implant process at our practice typically goes as follows:
- Consultation appointment. During this appointment, you will have a complete evaluation of your oral health condition and will work with Dr. Jesin to develop a treatment plan. Diagnostic images may be taken to create precise surgical guides for your procedure.
- Day of surgery. On the day of your surgery, the anesthesia that you chose during your consultation will be administered so that you will not feel any discomfort during your procedure. Next, Dr. Jesin will make a small cut in your gum tissue over the area where your implant is to be inserted. Using the X-Guide navigation system, he will then insert the implant post into your jaw bone with precision and stitch the surgical site closed. After the procedure, you will have plenty of time to rest before your designated driver takes you home. A single implant placement procedure takes 30–60 minutes and around two to three hours for multiple implants.
- Recovery period. The healing process begins once your procedure is over and continues until your implant has successfully fused with your jaw bone. Our patients are usually back to their regular activity level after just a couple of days. Your healing time depends on many factors, such as the condition of your jaw bone, your overall health, and your body’s natural healing abilities. Dr. Jesin will be sure to go over these factors and timelines with you before you have your procedure. You may receive a temporary crown to wear during your recovery time so that you can keep smiling while you wait for your permanent custom crown.
- Placement of the abutment. The abutment is the piece that connects the crown to your implant. After there has been enough healing, Dr. Jesin will determine when to place an abutment onto your implant post.
- Placement of the custom crown. Once Dr. Jesin gives the thumbs-up, your restorative dentist will fit your permanent, custom-made crown to your dental implant. The final phase of your treatment is complete!
Dr. Jesin will perform your dental implant surgery with the type of anesthesia that you desire, whether that be local anesthesia or IV sedation. The doctor and his clinical team have extensive training in the safe administration of in-office anesthesia and sedation, and you will be monitored continuously throughout your procedure. Your anesthesia options will be discussed in detail when you meet with Dr. Jesin for your consultation. During your consultation appointment, he can also talk with you about a pre-medication called Exparel® that we are proud to offer to our surgical patients. Exparel is a clinically proven, safe medication for extended post-operative pain relief that does not carry the risk of dependence or other negative side effects associated with prescribed opioid medications. Exparel is administered in a single dose by Dr. Jesin during your surgery, directly to your surgical site, and it has been shown to control pain for several days into recovery, sometimes reducing or even eliminating the need for post-surgical prescription medications!
To learn more about dental implants at our trusted Grand Rapids, MI, practice, please feel free to give us a call today. We are happy to schedule a consultation for you with Dr. Jesin so that you can discover if dental implants are the tooth restoration that will best fit your condition, finances, and goals. We look forward to meeting with you to discuss how we can help you get your smile back!
Dental Implant Cost in Grand Rapids, MI
At our practice, we aim to provide the very best service at competitive prices that keep you smiling. Since every patient’s condition is different, the cost for your dental implants at Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio will vary depending on your treatment plan. Some of the things that will be considered in the price for your implants include the number of implants you will be receiving, if you need a bone grafting procedure for successful implant placement, and/or if you will require any teeth to be extracted before your surgery. Your insurance coverage will also factor into the overall cost. We accept many types of insurance and have multiple payment options to make oral surgery possible for you.
When shopping for dental implants, the most crucial thing to remember is that implants require delicate oral surgery, and choosing an experienced and trusted oral surgeon is the priority. Dr. Jesin has the skill and training that you are looking for, and he uses the most advanced and cutting-edge surgical techniques to make sure that his patients have the finest outcome. The best way to estimate your dental implant cost is to schedule your consultation with the doctor at our practice. Dr. Jesin will work with you to create a treatment plan that considers every factor of your unique treatment and will make every effort to include an accurate estimate of your cost. Placing dental implants is our specialty!
The Value of Dental Implants
Dental implants are truly life-changing for our patients. They have the look and feel of natural teeth, and they function exactly like natural teeth. Dental implants also make your long-term oral health maintenance easier — they protect the health of your jaw and facial structure, and if cared for well (just as you would your natural teeth), they can last a lifetime. Other, more traditional tooth restorations must be replaced periodically and do not have the same protective influence on the health of the jaw and surrounding teeth.
Below are some of the reasons many of our patients choose to invest in dental implants:
- Lifelong replacement teeth. Dental implants will not need to be replaced — they can last a lifetime with proper oral hygiene and regular dental appointments. This benefit saves you the inconvenience and cost of more time receiving treatment for your missing teeth and is one of the main reasons people choose implants over traditional bridges and dentures.
- Protects oral health and facial harmony. Because dental implants fuse with your jaw bone during healing time through the process of osseointegration, they act just like natural tooth roots, continuously stimulating the bone in your jaw when you chew, to keep bone loss at bay. With a healthy jaw and teeth that are properly aligned in the dental arch, you are less likely to require costly dental work later.
- Better quality of life. The value of being able to enjoy the foods you love, and to speak, eat, and smile with the confidence that your tooth replacements look and function just like natural teeth, cannot be underestimated. These everyday life improvements all add up to a happier and healthier you.
There are so many ways that dental implants add value to our patient’s lives. If you live in the Grand Rapids, MI, area and are looking for a permanent, healthy tooth replacement option, we encourage you to give Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio a call today. Our friendly staff will be happy to schedule a consultation for you with Dr. Jesin to discuss the details of this life-changing tooth restoration and discover if it is the right option to restore your smile.
Dental Implant FAQ
What are my tooth replacement options?
Dr. Jesin offers many different solutions for restoring missing or failing teeth, from lifelong tooth replacements such as expertly placed dental implants to solutions such as fixed bridges and dentures. At our practice, we are dedicated to finding tooth replacement solutions that match our patient’s desires and conditions so that their overall health, oral health, and well-being are improved. Every one of our patients is different, so when Dr. Jesin and the team meet with you, we will all work together with you to discover what’s best for your smile. Some of the most common tooth replacement options include
- Dental Implants. Dental implants are a favorite tooth replacement solution because they are a true replacement, root and all. With dental implants, patients can regain the joy of eating, smiling, and speaking again with complete confidence, with teeth that look, feel, and function just like natural teeth.
- Full-Arch Replacement/All-on-4®. When patients come to us seeking a permanent replacement for multiple missing teeth in one or both of their arches, we may recommend a full-arch replacement using the All-on-4 technique. This innovative tooth replacement solution gives you new, permanent, and realistic teeth using only four dental implants.
- Bridges (Tooth-Supported). Tooth-supported bridges are a common tooth replacement for one or more missing teeth that are next to each other, bridging the gap created in the dental arch. Bridges are fixed in your mouth, so they are non-removable and secure, though they will usually need to be replaced every few years. The bridge is permanently cemented in place using the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth/teeth — this means that your dentist will need to reshape the teeth that are used to anchor the bridge.
- Full or Partial Dentures. Full or partial dentures are a classic and well-known solution for missing teeth. They tend to be inexpensive and they will last a while, though they will eventually need to be replaced. Many people find dentures to be a satisfactory solution, but others find them to be uncomfortable to wear and are self-conscious about the way they can slip during chewing or speaking.
Can my child receive dental implants?
If your child has lost permanent teeth due to an injury or accident, dental implants can be the best long-term solution for their oral health and smile. We recommend meeting with an oral surgeon as soon as possible after the teeth are lost to discuss options, however, in many cases, the surgeon will wait to perform the dental implant procedure until your child’s growth has completed — usually around age 16 for girls and age 18 for boys.
How long does it take to replace teeth using dental implants?
Because each patient is different, once you have had your consultation with your oral surgeon including all the necessary diagnostics, you will receive a treatment plan that will include the estimated amount of time to complete the dental implant process. Your specific needs, condition, medical and dental history, and the health of the supporting bone in your jaw will all be factors. The process can range from just a few months to more than a year for more complex conditions.
Can a general dentist place my dental implant?
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon is the dental professional with the most experience and training in the complex surgical procedures required to place dental implants. To minimize complications and ensure that your implants have long-term success, dental implants should be placed by an experienced oral surgeon. Your general dentist usually provides the temporary and permanent replacement teeth (custom crowns) that will be attached to the implants.
Is the dental implant procedure painful?
Many of our patients wonder how much it will hurt to receive dental implants. We want to assure you that we are dedicated to your safety and comfort, and you’re in the best hands with Dr. Jesin and the surgical team at Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio. As an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Jesin has hospital-based anesthesia training and is an expert in the precise placement of dental implants that is less invasive and requires the least amount of downtime. We also offer a highly effective, long-lasting pre-medication called Exparel at our practice that numbs your pain during your surgery right at the surgical site and lasts for several days into your recovery. Sometimes, this medication allows our patients to skip post-surgical pain medications! Regardless of your choice of anesthesia and post-surgical pain management, we find that most of our dental implant patients are back to their normal routines quickly.
What if there is not enough bone in my jaw for a secure implant placement?
Bone loss in the jaw can occur when teeth are missing for a prolonged amount of time. When this is the case, dental implants can be harder to place securely. However, we offer numerous treatments that solve this problem. A bone grafting procedure can restore bone in areas where an implant is going to be placed so that once the bone grafting site has healed, your dental implant will have a secure foundation. Bone grafting opens the option of dental implants to many people who would otherwise not be able to benefit from this life-changing tooth restoration. We also offer full arch restoration/All-on-4 treatment which can replace a full set of teeth on just four dental implants without the need for bone grafting.
How do I care for my new dental implants?
When Dr. Jesin has given you the green light that you’ve healed enough to brush and floss around the implant site, you can take care of your new implant the same way you do your natural teeth. Dental implants are a true tooth replacement, which means if you keep your mouth healthy and see your dentist regularly, your implants have the potential to last a lifetime.
What is the recovery like after dental implant placement?
Initially, you will want to stick with a diet of soft foods and then avoid chewing on the implant sites. Most patients are back to their regular routines within a few days after the placement of their implants. We will walk you through the process of your aftercare and post-surgical instructions before your treatment begins.
What will I use to chew with while my implants heal?
Your custom and permanent crown will usually be placed on your dental implant post once the implant post has fused with the bone in your jaw. This may take several weeks to several months of healing time. In the meantime, you have a few options for temporary replacement teeth while your implants are healing. A temporary bridge can be made, and in the case of multiple implants, your current denture can be modified. In some cases, a new temporary denture will be customized for you. If you prefer non-removable teeth during the healing phase of your treatment, you can have temporary transitional crowns made and placed. Whatever your choice for temporary teeth while you wait for your permanent crown to be placed, you will not have to live with a gap in your mouth. You and your doctor will discuss all your options in detail before your procedure.
It is our privilege to offer you the best care possible, so please feel free to contact us today at (616) 369-0360 to speak with one of our knowledgeable staff members.
Dental Implant Instructions
Dr. Jesin and the team at Advanced Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Studio will take excellent care of you, but to ensure that you have a smooth recovery without complications and the best experience possible, it’s important that you carefully follow our instructions for at-home pre- and post-surgical care. Please click here for our pre- and post-operative instructions. It’s very important that you feel well taken care of every step of your journey with us, so if anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to call us!